Plot 32

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Autumn beds

Have been doing some serious weeding to create some clean ground for the onions, garlic and broad beans I hope to plant from Autumn. Part of the plot has been infested with a soft, fast growing type of grass which, although I was told could be dug in as green manure, I've been taking out for composting where the Autumn crops will go. The rest I will dig in. Once the soil has dried a little, my intention is to dig some manure into the beds and add some Super Dug (see website link) which is supposed to produce excellent results with vegetables.
Have used my azada (again see website link) for some top clearing of annual weeds etc. - it really is a great tool. It will probably replace the hoe come Summer.
Back to work next week so most things from now will have to be done over weekends and evenings :-(

Monday, August 21, 2006

Finnegan Begin Again

There was a man called Michael Finnegan
Cleared a Plot of poppy and dandelion
The rain came down and grew it back again
Pooor old Michael Finnegan
Begin again ....

One of the consequences of removing most of the previous weed growth is that it's let the light in and awoken dormant weed seeds. After a week away I've returned to rampant growth on the plot and it's not fruit and veg! In fairness I'd anticipated this - in a slightly different context (preparing seed beds) Andi Clevely recommends preparing the soil 3-4 weeks in advance and then hoeing off the weeds that appear. Fortunately, apart from the onion beds, I've got plenty of time to lick the plot into shape before the next planting season.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Completed shed

Shed arrived 2 p.m., 2nd August - just before a spectacular downpour. Had to spend more than 2 hours sheltering in the car before we were able to start the build. Painted 4th August.
Have replaced the original pad bolt with a safety hasp; the wire over the window won't deter a thief but I'm hoping it will at least stop a stone.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the shed. It looks like a bus shelter from the back (see below) but it's a good solid construction and even came with the roof already felted.

Work on the shed means the Plot has been neglected and I'm now away for a week. Still, I've ordered onions and garlic to spur me on towards Autumn ...

Completed base

Shed base completed as planned on 31st July. Slabs were 400mm square and, as we needed a base approx. 1200mm x 1800mm, we had to lay an infill of 20mm. Bizarrely, B&Q had 3 broken slabs which were almost exactly the right size - hence the apparent fracture down the middle. Otherwise perfectly level and solid as a rock.
Arrived home to find shed would be delivered on 2nd August.